Fully funded IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program, 2018/2019
The Simons Foundation is a private foundation based in New York City, incorporated in 1994 by Jim and Marilyn Simons. The Simons Foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. They sponsor a range of programs in the sciences, including grants programs in mathematics and the physical sciences. The primary focus of the foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences division is the theoretical sciences radiating from mathematics: in particular, the fields of mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics.
Travel insurance charges
Basic living cost
Accommodation cost in the host country.
June 1, 2018 (Decisions will be made by July 30, 2018)
October 1, 2018 (Decisions will be made by November 30, 2018)
1. The applicant has to hold a valid doctoral degree (PhD) in mathematics.
2. The African applicant must be based (place of work) in an African developing country for the list of eligible countries please click here.
3. The applicant has to be employed as a mathematician in a faculty of a university or an equivalent higher education institution.
4. The applicant should already have established contact with a mathematician in the host institution in mathematical centre of excellence worldwide and should have a definite research plan together with the host, which must be submitted along with the curriculum vitae of both mathematicians at the time of applying for this grant. This plan should be approved by the host as well.
5. The applicant should have been granted appropriate leave of absence from his/her home institution which will cover the period of the visit.
6. The application must also be accompanied by a formal letter of invitation from the host institution, which clearly specifies the period of the (short) research visit and the extent of the host institutions financial commitment and support.
7. The minimal length of a visit that could be favourably considered is one month. There is no maximal length, but it has to be a sabbatical/ research visit not a fellowship position in the host institution (e.g. doing a post-doctoral).
8. The maximum amount of the grant is USD 5.000.